Personal, Family and Community Development Program among Gypsy People
The UPBUILDING program included of starting a small institution called TANODA. The goal has been to broaden the disadvantaged children and their family’s horizons in respect of professions and skills, teaching them setting goals, motivation for learning and working hard, tuition of subject matters for the children (one of them would be English language), to value the order and cleanness in the homes, teaching of roles in a biblical family, use of sport and art to tie the pupil’s physical and emotional energies, teach them finances, community life and as the top of all: the power of the gospel.
As we had hoped – at the end of the Upbuilding program – we were able to gain a full state support for a socio-development plan in Tatarszentgyorgy for approximately a 5 year period. So, this KAG has served to develop our ministry to a level that met the criteria of a state supported but Church run program.
The central location of UPBUILDING program has been our Mission House after school time. From this point of view, it is a huge advantage that the UPBUILDING project has succeeded in providing cheap operating conditions with solar panels.
Seven team members were involved directly and we got helpers from the village. Miklos Vig was the leading human developer of the project between August 2019 and July 2020. He was be the only paid full time worker, others worked part time as volunteers. Geza and Ildiko Kovacs, Miklos’s wife, Erika, Adam Fekete (engineer), his wife Kati (medical doctor) and Ferenc Kincsvero. The lst 3 are members of Rosegarden Church. We had a couple from Lansing (MI) over here for a 10 day period: Cullen and Sarah Menke. They taught English at Tatarszentgyorgy between July 29 and August 4, 2019.
THE PROJECT ITEMS ACCOMPLISHED
- Selection of school children for the program – seven pupils.
- Summer testing programs with the children and the families – five families.
- Slate roofing replacement – was done.
- Installation of solar panels – was done.
- English as a second language program – was done by the Menke couple.
- Leading developer Miklos was hired between 2019 August and 2020 July.
- Regular teaching and cultural programs was done between September 1, 2019 and June 2020.
- Progress report to KAG was provided – September 26, 2019.
- Proposal for State supported Socio-Development program (FETE) was made in February, 2020.
- The FETE Project was started in July, 2020.
- Final report is made on the UPBUILDING program – February, 2021.
Thankfully, Geza Kovacs and Miklos Vig